Friday, October 15, 2010

I Love New York

Really, I do.
Perhaps not all of it, all the time, because we get things like snow and snow and...snow, but the city I adore unconditionally.

I found this article in the New York Times today, and maybe it's the rain, or the weird mood that I was in, but I just think it's absolutely beautiful. Especially the last line.


You will never need a me to be you. You are yourself, always.

Love it. It really touched a nerve, and I feel like that's one of the things that makes the city so special. It just IS New York, and when you're there you can be anything, and you can always be yourself.

Other things that I love about the city-

The energy: I have never felt anything like the energy of New York. It's the ten languages you can hear on a block, it's the constant light and hum of activity, it's the rhythm of the horns and screeching around corners and the yelling. Ever seen the movie Tap? The city has a rhythm.

The abundance of things to do: Upstate, there are about three options. Dinner, dinner and movie, movie. There is also a definite lack of places to eat. You can have fried, Italian, or fried Italian.

The anonymity: This is something that really bugs me about living upstate. It's too small. I mean, I wouldn't mind being a successful enough writer that people know my name. That's cool. But when my neighbors are like "you left for work early today, where'd you go?" That's too damn small. I do not like people all up in my business.
Therefore, I think it's incredibly refreshing to walk down the street and nobody even looks at you. People say New Yorkers are unfriendly. I think we're just honest. 95% of the time, I DON'T give a shit what's happening in your life, why should I pretend like I do?
I'm also kind of a misanthrope. I'm a huge fan of Johnathan Swift's philosophy. I can't seem to find the exact quote but the sentiment is that the individual, he likes, but man as a race, he can't stand. Which is pretty much how I feel. If you're in that small group of people that I care about, then I care, and if you're not, I don't.

And the city has Broadway, because I'm a theater dork as well. Nobody doesn't love Sondheim!

No comments:

Post a Comment