Wednesday, April 27, 2011

POST 100!

Whoa. It's the day for 100.

I made it to my 100th page for scriptfrenzy today as well. Win!


And I finished a book, the subject of today's post.

Girl With a Pearl Earring- Tracy Chevalier


This book came up several months ago at book club, so when I saw it on the sale table at the Book Corner, I bought it. Because it was a dollar. Even if it sucked, I wouldn't care.

It didn't suck. It wasn't fantastic, but it was good summery fluff, which I needed, because I was tired. Vonnegut was just too intense to read while it's been so hot.



Anyway, Girl With a Pearl Earring is the fictional story behind the Johannes Vermeer painting of the same name. Griet is a pretty teenage girl who goes to work as his maid because her father the tile painter had an accident and can no longer support the family. Once there, she unintentionally causes all kinds of trouble, mostly because of the sexual tension between her and Vermeer. Also, his wife and children are kind of crazy.

Throw in a lecherous patron (aren't they all?), the butcher's handsome son, and the black death and you've got an engaging story. One of the blurbs on the back says that the author paints a historically accurate portrait of Deleft, but I know nothing about Dutch history, so I can't confirm that for you.

Overall, I enjoyed it. It was a quick, easy read. Great for hot weather. What I liked the best though, was looking at the painting on the cover as I read, and being able to see the finished painting as each layer of it was being added in the story.

Now that it's finally rained...back to Vonnegut :)

No comments:

Post a Comment