Friday, February 4, 2011

Scandalous...?

Ooooh, le controversy! Normally, this would be something that would be more likely to appear on the blog of my dear and hilarious friends, The Plastics, but opinions are kind of my thing, and I have one about this video.

http://www.popeater.com/2011/02/03/perez-hilton-rihanna-video-controversy/?icid=maing|main5|dl2|sec1_lnk3|41283

^Watch that, then come back.

I really didn't think it was that bad.

Really. Things happen so fast that unless you're carefully watching it (which I did, the first time, just to see what the fuss was about) you're not going to be completely sure what you're seeing.

I haven't extensively researched the specific complaints about it, but I can imagine them. And I've read the comments on this article.
It's been flagged on youtube as inappropriate. Is it really any worse than a PG13 movie? I don't think so.

One mother complained that she didn't want her children influenced by something like this...Then don't let them watch it?
I'm sorry, but if you don't feel your children should be watching this, then it's your responsibility to make sure they don't. Don't let them watch MTV. It is not the rest of the world's responsibility to make sure that your children are sheltered.


Also, if we didn't make such a big deal of it, would it be that big of a deal? No. I feel the same way about swearing. They're only "bad words" because you say they're "bad words."
I happen to think they are GREAT words, some of the most versatile that we English speakers have.
Getting your feathers all ruffled and flagging it as inappropriate only makes people want to watch it more.


Another comment was from someone who worried that SM was being presented to their children, and that it was dangerous because kids are going to want to try it. Again: be the parent.
And honestly? I kind of feel like sheltering kids, like preaching abstinence, doesn't work. I'm not saying show this video to your 12 year old when you're having the talk, but your older kids? Discuss. Teach. Parent.

I'm not even going to touch some of the racial comments that were made on the article, because they were more inappropriate and offensive than the video, but I will tackle the gender thing. Someone said it was the presentation of a woman in a position of power that was offensive. To a certain extent, I'll agree with that- we're not as progressive a people as we think, and women in power still scare a lot of people... coughMENcough.
Even more than that, I think it was the presentation of a woman who enjoys sex. I feel like the way women are presented is more as sexual objects, rather than human beings who find it enjoyable too.

That said, I think the song is incredibly catchy.
And Perez Hilton on a leash made me laugh my ass off. Does he come in teacup size? Because I kind of want one...

1 comment:

  1. I agree with your opinion that the video depicts Rihanna as a 22/23 year old woman who enjoys sex because...who doesn't? I'm not offended by anything in the video other than the glaringly obvious David LaChapelle influences which border on plagiarism (is it still plagiarism when stealing from a photograph?) but I'm pretty sure he's suing anyway.
    P.S. Thanks for the shout out!! haha

    ReplyDelete