Tuesday, November 30, 2010

Best Picture Books. Ever.

All right, let's see if I can come up with ten. I have the tendency to sit down to do something like this with about half the list in my head, and then I get a huge mental block and can't come up with the rest of the list until I've published the post and walked away from the computer.

My second class of four was cancelled today though, because the Professor has the plague. Which is nice for us, not for him, and not as nice as it would be if the last class was cancelled.

On to the books! The Guardian has come up with their top ten, which can be found here. Don't get scared by the creepy doll book. Actually, there are a couple of creepy doll books.

My list looks like this:

1. The Cat in the Hat- Dr. Seuss - This HAD to be number one. It's genius. Not only does it contain 236 of the 250 core words, it's FUN.

2. Madeleine- Ludwig Bemelmens - I don't have a particular Madeleine in mind, I like all of them.

3. Where the Wild Things Are- Maurice Sendak

4. The Stinky Cheese Man - Jon Scieszka

5. The Tale of Peter Rabbit - Beatrix Potter

6. Alexander and the Terrible, Horrible, No Good, Very Bad Day- Judith Viorst - I love the ink drawings, AND the story.

7. The Very Hungry Caterpillar- Eric Carle

8. Harold and the Purple Crayon- Crockett Johnson

9. The Polar Express - Chris Van Allsburg

10. Strega Nona - Tomie De Paola

11. Swimmy - Leo Lionni

12. Curious George - H. A. Rey

13. Corduroy -Don Freeman

14. Click Clack Moo: Cows That Type - Doreen Cronin

15. Chicka Chicka Boom Boom - Bill Martin Jr and John Archambault

16. Goodnight Moon -Margaret Brown

Ha! You get 16...I found a list that made me remember all my favorites.
And I still have time to kill before my next class. Perhaps I will print more patterns.

No comments:

Post a Comment