Monday, May 9, 2011

KV as in Jailbird

I know, that title makes no sense unless you know the Murder, She Wrote episode entitled "JB as in Jailbird."

But today I'm talking about Kurt Vonnegut's novel, Jailbird, so there you have it.

Or, in a more Vonnegut appropriate phrase,

So it goes.

I'd never read any Vonnegut until I met Ben. He loves him, and convinced me to try The Sirens of Titan. I loved it.
I had to read Slaughterhouse Five for my Lit of War class last year. I loved it.

I just finished Jailbird, which is one of Ben's favorites, and not surprisingly, loved it.

Ohh, and I almost forgot. My favorite Vonnegut so far is God Bless You, Dr. Kevorkian. It's genius.

The thing about Vonnegut is that, by most standards, he's not a good writer. His structure is a little odd, and at times seems unplanned, and his grammar can be awful.
However, he has a great VOICE. His writing is very much like he's sitting there telling you a story. It's very conversational. Full of humor, irony and satire. Not always easy to read, but always worth the effort.

Jailbird is told by Walter F. Starbuck, a man created by a rich mentor to be someone that he really isn't and thus, he gets himself into a lot of trouble, because he basically spends his whole life out of his depth. I don't want to spoil it for you, but Watergate is involved, as is a fictional conglomerate in corporate America (lots of commentary about the absurdity of that world, too)

So go, read Vonnegut, for all of the above reasons. He's quite wonderful; I'm a fan.

Tomorrow look for a blog post about the drop spindles that I got for my birthday (which is also tomorrow, if you care) and my adventures in learning to spin. I'm sure there will be many posts about that- it's not as easy as people like Abby Franquemont make it look.

So it goes.

1 comment: