Tuesday, January 4, 2011

Surprise, Surprise!

That title can be taken sarcastically when directed at the top ten bestselling books since the inception of Nielsen ratings in 1998. However, when skimming down the other 90 spots on the list that you can find on the Guardian, I was legitimately, and pleasantly, surprised.

Books I was surprised by, and why you should read them:

15- The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-time - Mark Haddon
I love this book. It's a murder mystery/YA from the point of view of a boy with Autism. Haddon's characterization is spot on. I've heard people say "my brother with Autism is nothing like this, it's completely inaccurate."
It's not. I've dealt with a variety of kids with the disorder, and it's called a broad spectrum because it IS. And I know kids like Christopher. It's brilliant.

43- The Interpretation of Murder - Jed Rubenfeld
I love Freud. Stick him in a murder mystery, and it's great.

49- The Boy in the Striped Pajamas - John Boyne
I can't tell you what it's about, that would ruin it. Profoundly beautiful, profoundly heartbreaking. Just read it.

54- The Very Hungry Caterpillar - Eric Carle
If you have not read this, you have not yet begun to live. Your life is meaningless.

92- The Book Thief - Marcus Zusak
We've already discussed this.

Two for the way back up the list- White Teeth by Zadie Smith and Angela's Ashes by Frank McCourt. I haven't read either of these, but I have read On Beauty by Zadie Smith, and I loved it, you should add it to the list. And I have read Teacher Man by Mr. McCourt. Also get yourself a copy of this. He's wonderful.

There you go. More for the list.
You're welcome.
Goodnight.

No comments:

Post a Comment