Tuesday, September 28, 2010

Wilson! Wiiiillsooooonnn!

I promise this blog will not be about how you should watch Castaway. You shouldn't; it's mad boring.

You ought to, however, read the first in my Banned Book Series: coming in at number 8 on the American Library Association's list of the top 100 Banned Classics of the 20th Century...

William Golding's The Lord of the Flies

This is the most recent banned book that I've read, and one that I always said "Oh, I should read that."
Finally did. And now I'm saying YOU should read that.

I must have really thought that it was going to be like Castaway, and that's why I never got around to it until now. I figured it was something that I would like better if I was a boy, because there's not a single female character in the whole thing...unless you count the Sow, and she didn't really come to a great end.

Ultimately, I was very pleasantly surprised. The book was incredibly engaging, and Golding writes in a very reader-friendly style, which is not something that can be said of all contemporary classics.
The most interesting part of it is, of course, how very quickly a group of "civilized" human beings, can return to their savage roots. We're not so very different from those apes that we evolved from, and this book does a beautiful job of showing that.

MUCH better than Castaway. Much better than Survivor.
So, read the book. I'm not going to give you plot summary, that would ruin it. Find yourself a copy and find out what happens to a group of boys stranded on an island who give in to their true animal nature.

Believe me, it's not pretty.

No comments:

Post a Comment