Wednesday, September 29, 2010

Banned Books Part Two

Today I'm going to give you a couple of short reviews of banned books because I'm suddenly very tired, and I need to catch that wave of tired now or I will be up all night.

1) Angus, Thongs, and Full Frontal Snogging - Louise Rennison
I started with this book, the first in the series, when I was probably fifteen. Yes, they're YA. As a general rule, I don't like YA unless it does something radically different to the genre, because in my opinion every YA book ever written (except the small handful of good ones) is exactly the same. Boooooring.
These have the BEST narrator ever, and the fact that they are British is another stack of brownie points for them- funny as hell. read them, for serious. You will laugh. I just recently bought the seventh book in the series and laughed my butt off.

2) Slaughterhouse-Five- Kurt Vonnegut
I had to read this last semester for a Lit of War class...best war book, ever. Read it. In fact, read as much Vonnegut as you can get your hands on, the man was a crazy genius and also funny as hell. I HIGHLY recommend God Bless You, Dr. Kevorkian.

Finally, there are several Toni Morrison books on that list, and I'm not going to talk about them individually, I'm just going to tell you to read Toni Morrison. She is absolutely brilliant. Brilliant.

Go forth and read.

No comments:

Post a Comment