Sunday, November 20, 2011

The Saga of the Beret

I made this beret for Ashley, in gray. Maybe you remember it.

When I made it for her, I had to go back and rip the slip stitch row at the end, because it made it too tight. I could get it over my ears, but it was just a little too tight to be comfortable.

So I ripped it.

Last week I made the same beret for myself. I was hoping that my gauge was the same, because for this hat, I wanted it snug on my ears to keep out the city wind.

My gauge was not the same. It was much too loose, pre-slip stitch row. After, I couldn't get the thing on my head.

What the hell?

So Ben said, "what if you put the slip stitch row farther up the band, where there are more stitches?
Brilliant.

When I finally got around to ripping the slip stitch row, which I did not do right then because I was cranky, I screwed it all up and cut the wrong ends, and ended up ripping back three rows to find a place where I could start again.

So instead of moving the slip stitch row up, I just decreased the single crochets on the last round. It's a little loose. I might try to add one more round and decrease some more.

I might just leave it alone and find a different pattern altogether for the other ball of purple that I bought to match my coat.

But, ultimately, I did end up with a hat.


No comments:

Post a Comment