Sunday, January 1, 2012

Cut. Print. It's a Wrap!

I've just returned from a day in South Philly, watching the Mummers Parade and ringing in the New Year. If you're ever in the neighborhood and want to do this, I have one piece of advice that will save your sanity from screaming college girls, grown men dressed as babies, and little kids with air horns:

Bring a flask.






The Mummers Parade is a strange Philadelphia tradition, but it is fun to watch. Not so much fun that I'd want to come back to see it when we're gone, but while we're here, it was an entertaining way to celebrate another year.





I've heard from a lot of people that 2011 was a shitty year for them. I can't say that things happened the way I wanted them to this year, and yes I did spend more time in the emergency room this year than I ever have in my life, but overall, everyone I love is healthy and relatively happy.

Instead of dwelling on the things that didn't go the way I wanted them to, I think it best to move on. In the immortal words of Rafiki, from The Lion King, "It doesn't matter! It's in de past!"

If I was the kind of person that planned ahead, I'd look to the future. However, I don't plan ahead. Anything, really. Which brings us to the next segment, which I'm calling:

"If I Actually Kept Resolutions..."

If I actually kept resolutions I would resolve to cut back on my drinking.
If I actually kept resolutions I would resolve to get back into some kind of shape besides "extra squishy."

If I actually kept resolutions I would resolve to write. Every day. No matter how I felt about it, and no matter if I had nothing to write about.

If I actually kept resolutions, I'd prepare to apply to PhD programs by seriously thinking about what I want to do with my life.

If I actually kept resolutions, I'd make a pattern list for my 12 in 2012 endeavor and stick with it.

If I actually kept resolutions, I'd stick to a blogging schedule and tell you all about my success.

But since I don't, we'll see how it goes. Stay tuned.

Happy New Year, from Ben and me.
Oh, and the Loch Ness Monster.


No comments:

Post a Comment