Tuesday, July 5, 2011

Aha!

I love those aha! moments when the plot falls into place and is unexpectedly more profound than anticipated.

I had one today, in the shower, because water really does help me think. I tend to get my best ideas at 10.30 at night, or in the shower, or while doing the dishes. Now the plot for this month's Camp NaNo novel has been worked out, and it's rather deep.

I'd still like to teach a class on Emperor's New Clothes Syndrome, because I stand by the fact that 99% of the time, things like profundity and symbolism just HAPPEN in a book, not because the author meticulously plotted it that way. I think we generally read WAAAY too much into stuff.

But I suppose that's okay, because I couldn't be an English (or CompLit) professor if we didn't. I'm leaning very, very heavily toward the PhD in CompLit, some kind of CompLit...I don't have the slightest idea where to begin looking for a direction to go in search of a dissertation topic.

I do know what direction my novel is going however. So I think I will leave the pondering of the rest of my life for another day, or at least a couple of hours, while I bang out my word quota for today.

Out of curiosity, what sort of classes could you see me teaching at a college level?

No comments:

Post a Comment